Table of Contents
image source: Wikimedia Commons
Zuccotti Park, one of the few havens amid the towering skyscrapers in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, made its sudden rise to prominence in late 2011, as the birthplace of the Occupy Wall Street movement.
WHAT WAS OCCUPY WALL STREET?
Sparked by the Arab Spring and a message blast from Canadian magazine Adbusters, Occupy Wall Street was a “people-powered movement” that worked to level the economic playing field between the elite (the “1%”) and the rest of the public (“the 99%”).
According to the movement’s website, Occupy Wall Street “[fought] back against the corrosive power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process, and the role of Wall Street in creating an economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in generations.”
We at the Zero Theft Movement (ZTM) view Occupy Wall Street as an early model or predecessor. Although the movement spread around the globe, it failed to have the push and long-term support to fully complete its mission. It has, though, provided learning lessons and led to stronger, better organized, and defined anti-corruption organizations such as RepresentUs and Move to Amend.
In this article, we’ll explore the famous occupation of Zuccotti Park and how ZTM has reimagined Occupy Wall Street’s mission and methods in order to better ensure economic reform for you, the 99%.
Billions of government revenue are being held in tax havens.
Don’t believe us? See what your fellow citizens are saying on the Zero Theft Movement platform…
Planting the Seed
Starting on September 17, 2011, and lasting for about two months, the “Occupy” in Occupy Wall Street was acted upon quite literally. Zuccotti Park, in other words, took on many overnight tenants in makeshift tarp tents.
Yes, you read that correctly.
Some activists not only protested in the park but also took up temporary residence there.
Debra M. Gaines, CC BY 3.0
source: Wikimedia Commons
NPR, as well as the New York Times, attributes the whole idea to the aforementioned Adbusters. Under the name ‘CultureJammersHQ,’ the magazine released a blog post in July 2011 partially quoted below:
The Zero Theft Movement does not have any interest in partisan politics/competition or attacking/defending one side. We seek to eradicate theft from the U.S economy. In other words, how the wealthy and powerful rig the system to steal money from us, the everyday citizen. We need to collectively fight against crony capitalism in order for us to all profit from an ethical economy.
Terms like ‘steal,’ ‘theft,’ and ‘crime’ will frequently appear throughout the article. Zero Theft will NOT adhere strictly to the legal definitions of these terms (since congress sells out). We have broadly and openly defined terms like ‘steal’ and ‘theft’ to refer to the rigged economy and other debated unethical acts that can cause citizens to lose out on money they deserve to keep.